Welcome to another episode of Wildstorm Addiction! Our resident Wildstorm experts Joe David Soliz & Benjamin Murphy review the new DCU versions of Stormwatch #5, Voodoo #5 and Grifter #5 as well as some other Wildstorm appearances in the new DCU 52.
00:00:35 – Ben welcomes everyone to episode #30 and gives his spoiler alerts warning. Remember, all written reviews on the website are spoiler free and usually get posted within a day of print release.
00:01:27 – Ben gives plenty of Wildstorm related news as it pertains to the current books in the DCU.
- Paul Cornell’s last issue of Stormwatch will be issue #6. Cornell reports on his blog that it was his decision to leave and that the first 6 issues set up the format of the title. He says that he’s still on Demon Knights and will continue to work with the new writer concerning the connections between the two books. Paul Jenkins will be writing #7 & 8. No writer has been announced yet for #9 and beyond.
- More Wildstorm appearances to come. Superman #8 features another appearance of Helspont. In USA Today interview Lobdell mentioned that we’d see Gen 13’s Grunge. This was confirmed in solicit for Superboy #8 in April. And Leifeld has teased that we’ll see Deathblow in Grifter and Pike in one of the 3 books he’s producing.
- Stormwatch Vol. 1 Hardcover re-solicited for March 14, 2012, collects Stormwatch #37-47 which is Warren Ellis’ original run. Amazon.com has Wildcats Hardcover relisted for Sept.
- Wildstorm books survive first round of DCU New 52 cancellations, Of the 6 books mentioned to replace existing titles, this one sounds the most promising to have Wildstorm characters included:
“THE RAVAGERS – Writer: Howard Mackie. Artist: Ian Churchill. Spinning off from TEEN TITANS and SUPERBOY, this series finds four superpowered teens on the run and fighting against the organization that wants to turn them into supervillains.”
00:06:03 – Joe reviews Stormwatch #5. Released released on 1/04, written by Paul Cornell with art and cover by Miguel Sepulveda.
00:16:32 – Ben shares his thoughts for the fifth and explosive issue of Stormwatch.
00:18:58 – Ben reviews Grifter #5. Released on 1/11, written by Nathan Edmondson, with art and cover by Scott Clark.
00:30:25 – Joe gives his assessment on Grifter #5.
00:35:07 – Joe reviews the fifth issue of Voodoo with change in creative. Released on 1/25, written by Josh Williamson with art by Sami Basri and cover by John Tyler Christopher.
00:45:40 – Ben shares his thoughts on Voodoo with the new direction that writer Josh Williamson is taking this title.
00:48:08 – Ben gives an update on other Wildstorm related sighting and tie-ins from the other DCU 52 issue #5’s that have released this past month. And yes I say all of the wrong dates for the title releases on the podcast, but the correct dates are listed below.
- 1/11 Demon Knights #5 – Another reference and appearance of Merlin who is Adam One from Stormwatch. Presently deceased and part of the “shadow cabinet”.
- 1/11 Superboy #5 – Superboy rescues Fairchild
- 1/11 Legion Lost #5 – Black Razors appearance although they are beaten quickly, also a Martian Manhunter appearance on the last page!
- 1/18 Green Lantern Corps #5 – Martian Manhunter appearance
00:52:21 -Joe continues by giving a run-down on the upcoming books and character appearances in the new DCU relaunch. Remember, all these books are available digitally the same day as the print release at the DC section of www.comixology.com
- For the week of 2/01
- STORMWATCH #6 – 1:25 Variant Cover
- For the week of 2/08
- For the week of 1/22
00:53:56 – Ben gives a shout out to Chris Striker, of the Higher Authority and Stormwatch.ws websites. Remember to visit The Higher Authority’s message boards Clark’s Bar to continue the Wildstorm integration discussions amongst long time Wildstorm fans at theauthority.ws. DC Wormhole podcast episode 6 is out at culturalwormhole.com and they’re covering several of the new 52 books.
00:55:11 – Joe gives the contact details as shown below.
The opening music is “Universal Domain” by Dreamline which can be found at http://www.musicalley.com.
Wildstorm Addiction: http://twitter.com/wildstormaddict
Post your comments for each episode on the wildstormaddiction.com!
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Facebook Fan Page: Wildstorm Addiction Podcast Fan Page