Welcome to another episode of Wildstorm Addiction! Our resident Wildstorm experts Joe David Soliz & Benjamin Murphy review the new DCU versions of Stormwatch #11, Grifter #11, Ravagers #3 and Voodoo #11, as well as some other Wildstorm appearances in the new DCU 52.
00:00:34 – Ben welcomes everyone to episode #37 and gives his spoiler alerts warning. Remember, all written reviews on the website are spoiler free and usually get posted within a day of print release.
00:01:12 – Ben gives only a little bit of Wildstorm related news as it pertains to the current books in the DCU.
- 20 years ago this month in August 1992, WildC.A.T.s #1 was released!
- In October, Voodoo joins Grifter with issue 13, Team 7 #1 debuts with a Jim Lee variant and mentions Gamorra, Superboy shows up in Ravagers #5, and Deathstroke #13 solicitation reads “Deathstroke and Zealot learn the terrible fate of the planet Kheran and brace for the long-lasting repercussions it will have on the DC Universe.” (Kheran a typo or new name for the Kherubim homeworld as it was traditionally Khera?)
- Grifter Vol 1: Most Wanted trade came out July 25th which collects issues #1-8, Nathan Edmondson’s entire run with art by CAFU and Scott Clark.
- DC Heroclix: Batman is coming Nov. 2012 and as part of the set release, there are pictures of figures for the Wildstorm versions of Grifter, Maul, Voodoo, and Zealot.
- Rob Liefeld announces that his current run at DC will end his run on superhero books to focus on creator-owned projects.
- Joe mentions his twitter conversation with Brett Booth about bringing back Backlash into the new DCU 52.
00:05:50 – Joe starts it off with the review of Stormwatch #11. Released on 7/04, written by Peter Milligan with art by Eduardo Pansica and Ignacio Calero with a cover by Scott Clark, Dave Beaty, and Pete Pantazis. Also four inkers on this issue! Joe comes up with some great anime references that remind him of some of the scenes that happen in this issue.
00:20:20 – Ben follows up on his thoughts for the eleventh issue of Stormwatch….it’s no Grifter, and that’s a good thing, a very good thing!
00:22:44 – Ben reviews Grifter #11. Released on 7/11, written by Rob Liefeld and Frank Tieri, with art by Marat Mychaels, inks by Rob Hunter with cover by Rob Liefeld. One word, childish.
00:30:27 – Joe gives his assessment on Grifter #11…not much to say really. He did like Marat Mychaels’ art at least. But how can Grifter continue to have these amazing powers without a penalty of some sort, even Superman has kryptonite.
00:36:16 – Joe reviews the third issue of the Ravagers. Released on 7/11, written by Howard Mackie with art and cover by Ian Churchill and Norm Rapmund. Joe really likes this book because it feels the most fresh of the bunch as far as the ideas that are being dealt with for each issue.
00:48:56 – Ben gives his thoughts on the Ravagers, which are pretty close to Joe’s feeling on this title as well. Being unfamiliar with the “color” concepts carried over from Animal Man and Swamp Thing has him intrigued enough to catch up on those title to better understand where it’s all coming from. He’s also glad that they’ve pivoted away from “the Culling” crossover story line and seem to have their own problems to deal with at the moment, survival and all.
00:50:46 – Ben gives his review of Voodoo #11. Released on on 7/25, written by Josh Williamson with art by Sami Basri and cover by Paulo Siqueira. Loving it to the very end!!!
01:04:23 – Joe gives his assessment on Voodoo #11, not before naming the power that Priscilla has by Dragonite-ing out. He’s bummed out that this title feels like it’s giving up at the end as it has clearly been better than Grifter. Even though it’s cancelled it doesn’t have to feel that way.
01:07:42 – Joe gives an update on other Wildstorm related sighting and tie-ins from the other DCU 52 issue #11’s that have released last month.
- 7/11 Deathstroke #11 – more Zealot
- 7/25 Grifter Vol 1: Most Wanted – TPB (Go get it!)
- 7/25 The Savage Hawkman #11 – another Pike appearance, not much, just another cameo
01:11:34 – Ben continues by giving a run-down on the upcoming books and character appearances in the new DCU relaunch. Remember, all these books are available digitally the same day as the print release at the DC section of www.comixology.com
- For the week of 8/01
- STORMWATCH #12 MARTIAN MANHUNTER battles STORMWATCH! A major turning point for the DC Universe as MARTIAN MANHUNTER quits STORMWATCH forever! Don’t miss STORMWATCH this month in I, VAMPIRE!
- For the week of 8/08
- GRIFTER #12 Face-off with HELLSPONT!
- RAVAGERS #4 Betrayal, revelations, blood, and DEATH come to the group as some find themselves powerless to the seductive charms and horrific powers of BROTHER BLOOD. RIDGE is prepared as a blood sacrifice to indoctrinate the newest members of Brother Blood’s cult. NOT everyone will survive this fatal encounter.
- DEATHSTROKE #12 The final battle with LOBO by new writer/artist ROB LIEFELD!
- For the week of 8/22
- VOODOO #12 VOODOO and PRIS are ready for the fight of their lives…against each other! Is this the end for VOODOO?
- THE SAVAGE HAWKMAN #12 HAWKMAN vs. ST. BASTION – with PIKE, an incredible assassin with key info about Hawkman’s past, caught in the middle!
- I, VAMPIRE #12 ANDREW BENNETT’S hold over the vampires is about to collapse as STORMWATCH attacks.
01:12:55 – Joe gives a shout out to Chris Striker, of the TheAuthority.ws and Stormwatch.ws websites. Remember to visit The Higher Authority’s message boards Clark’s Bar to continue the Wildstorm integration discussions amongst long time Wildstorm fans at theauthority.ws. Be sure to check out our friends of the show, the Image Addiction podcast as they cover new releases from Image Comics and the Only the Valiant podcast as they cover the re-launching of Valiant Comics over the summer. Joe’s voicemail got moved to Ep. 78 because of San Diego Comic Con. And finally, an old Image favorite Cyberforce is coming back in a unique way through Kickstarter. Go to www.kickstarter.com and type in Cyberforce or (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/620244384/cyber-force-returns)
01:15:37 – Joe continues with the contact details as shown below.
The opening music is “Universal Domain” by Dreamline which can be found at http://www.musicalley.com.
Ben: Look up “yoyomaster146” at the Wildstorm Resource Wiki (http://wildstormresource.wetpaint.com) or on the Wildstorm Message Boards.
Wildstorm Addiction: http://twitter.com/wildstormaddict
Post your comments for each episode on the wildstormaddiction.com!
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Facebook Fan Page: Wildstorm Addiction Podcast Fan Page
Google+ Page: wildstormaddiction
Our show is now on Stitcher! Listen to us on your iPhone, Android Phone, Kindle Fire and other devices with Stitcher. Stitcher is Smart Radio for Your phone or tablet. Find it in your app store or at stitcher.com The latest episode is always available for you- no syncing needed… and no memory or storage wasted! Stitcher SmartRadio- The Smarter Way to listen to radio