Welcome to another episode of Wildstorm Addiction! Our resident Wildstorm experts Joe David Soliz & Benjamin Murphy review Superman Annual #1, Stormwatch #0, Grifter #0, and Voodoo #0, as well as some other Wildstorm appearances in the new DCU 52. We decided not to review Ravagers #0 this month because it basically just covered the origin of Beast Boy and Terra and had no Wildstorm character appearances.
00:00:35 – Ben welcomes everyone to episode #39 and gives his spoiler alerts warning. Remember, all written reviews on the website are spoiler free and usually get posted within a day of print release.
00:01:46 – Ben gives plenty of Wildstorm related news as it pertains to the current books in the DCU approaching the last big con of 2012, NYCC.
- We all know that Jim Lee is off Justice League, so we’re hoping and praying that a Wildcats title will be his next stop but we’ll see. It’s also rumored Jim Lee may be doing a new Superman title. Ivan Reis is taking over Justice League in December and the announcement had this to say about Jim Lee: “And for you Jim Lee fans out there, don’t worry. We’ve got some major news coming soon. While that’s all we can tease for now, New York Comic Con is only one month away …” Which of course, the con is a lot closer now since this statement was first released and other than a few variant covers, Jim Lee is noticeably absent from the December solicitations.
- Speaking of December, Grifter #15 has him facing the Suicide Squad (he’s specifically fighting Deadshot on the cover) and mentions ties to Team 7, Stormwatch #15 apparently has the team turning Midnighter because of the Shadow Lords manipulations, Team 7 #3 has Deathstroke turning against the team thanks to the first New 52 appearance of the villain Eclipso, and Ravagers #7 has the return of Rose Wilson and Warblade. Also, Superboy and the Ravagers guest star in Legion Lost #15 and Demon Knights #15 mentions a connection to Stormwatch.
- Stormwatch Vol. 2 HC has been pushed back to May 2013 and the Voodoo Vol. 1: What Lies Beneath trade came out Sept. 26th.
- The Wildstorm Addiction Podcast is now officially part of the Image Addiction Network. Chris Partin and Michael Smith from Image Addiction are the reason we have a podcast and unfortunately we all split after the Comic Addiction site went down. It’s good to be back amongst our original podcast family!
00:05:31 – Joe starts it off with the review of Superman Annual #1. Released on 8/29, written by Scott Lobdell & Fabian Nicieza with art by Pascal Alixe, Marco Rudy, Tom Raney, Elizabeth Torque, and Mico Suayan with cover by Kenneth Rocafort.
00:19:06 – Ben reviews the history of the new DCU with Stormwatch #0. Released on 9/05, written by Peter Milligan with art by Will Conrad and cover by Tyler Kirkham.
00:33:47 – Joe reviews Grifter #0. Released on 9/12, written by Rob Liefeld and Frank Tieri, with art by Scott Clark and cover by Rob Liefeld.
00:46:48 – Ben tried to review the first issue of the title starting with the third wave of the new DCU52, Team 7 #0, but failed miserably and thank goodness Joe took over. I didn’t get a chance to re-read this issue before the review, but I have a great excuse! Released on 9/12, written by Justin Jordan with art by Jesus Merino and cover by Ken Lashley.
- The arms dealer Kurt and Dinah go after at the beginning of issue mentions the “Gen-Factor”
01:03:00 – Joe gives his final review of Voodoo as we give this title it’s swan song on issue #0. Released on on 9/26, written by Josh Williamson with art and cover by Sami Basri.
01:15:45 – Ben gives an update on other Wildstorm related sighting and tie-ins from the other DCU 52 issue #0’s that have released last month.
- 9/12 Deathstroke #0 – appearance by Grifter, how is he hold up those other guys?!?!
- 9/12 Superboy #0 – Fairchild appearance
- 9/12 Suicide Squad #0 – Team 7 mentioned several times
- 9/26 The Savage Hawkman #0 – Mention of a Daemonite war on Thangar (not shown)
01:17:52 – Joe continues by giving a run-down on the upcoming books and character appearances in the new DCU relaunch. Remember, all these books are available digitally the same day as the print release at the DC section of www.comixology.com
- For the week of 10/03
- STORMWATCH #13 Midnighter and Apollo go AWOL from Stormwatch! The debut of The Demon in the modernday New 52! Will he be the team’s most unpredictable new member? What is the centuries-spanning connection between STORMWATCH and DEMON KNIGHTS?
- For the week of 10/10
- GRIFTER #13 How long until he meets up with Voodoo?
- RAVAGERS #5 Caitlin and Superboy reunited – and that’s not a good thing for Ridge! Beast Boy’s powers become dangerous as he feels the effects of “Rotworld: The Red Kingdom,” from ANIMAL MAN!
- DEATHSTROKE #13 Deathstroke and Zealot learn the terrible fate of the planet Kheran and brace for the long-lasting repercussions it will have on the DC Universe.
- TEAM 7 #1 Learn how the secret wars of the New 52 were fought by TEAM 7! Early adventures of Deathstroke, Black Canary, Grifter, Amanda Waller, Steve Trevor and others! This issue: Battlefield Gamorra!
01:19:52 – Ben gives a shout out to Chris Striker, of the TheAuthority.ws and Stormwatch.ws websites. Remember to visit The Higher Authority’s message boards Clark’s Bar to continue the Wildstorm integration discussions among long time Wildstorm fans at theauthority.ws. Be sure to check out our friends of the show, the Image Addiction podcast as they cover new releases from Image Comics and the Only the Valiant podcast as they cover the re-launching of Valiant Comics which current titles include X-O Manowar, Harbinger, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, and coming in November a new Shadowman title.
01:21:13 – Ben continues with the contact details as shown below.
The opening music is “Universal Domain” by Dreamline which can be found at http://www.musicalley.com.
Ben: Look up “yoyomaster146” at the Wildstorm Resource Wiki (http://wildstormresource.wetpaint.com) or on the Wildstorm Message Boards.
Wildstorm Addiction: http://twitter.com/wildstormaddict
Post your comments for each episode on the wildstormaddiction.com!
Email us at email@example.com.
Facebook Fan Page: Wildstorm Addiction Podcast Fan Page
Google+ Page: wildstormaddiction
Our show is now on Stitcher! Listen to us on your iPhone, Android Phone, Kindle Fire and other devices with Stitcher. Stitcher is Smart Radio for Your phone or tablet. Find it in your app store or at stitcher.com The latest episode is always available for you- no syncing needed… and no memory or storage wasted! Stitcher SmartRadio- The Smarter Way to listen to radio