Welcome to another episode of Wildstorm Addiction! Our resident Wildstorm experts Joe David Soliz & Benjamin Murphy review Stormwatch #16, Grifter #16, and Ravagers #8, and Team 7 #4, as well as some other Wildstorm appearances in the new DCU 52.
00:00:00 – Ben welcomes everyone to episode #43 and gives his spoiler alerts warning. Remember, all written reviews on the website are spoiler free and usually get posted within a day of print release. (Surprised? We moved the intro music back a bit!)
00:01:50 – Ben gives plenty of Wildstorm related news as it pertains to the current books in the DCU.
- Wiz Kids was very generous to Wildstorm fans over the holidays. Not only did we get news of Gen 13 Heroclix, but we’re also getting Ravagers Heroclix and three more WildC.A.T.s figures including Spartan, Void, and Emp. Check out the News section of our website for more details.
- Still a rumor, but Bleeding Cool reports that Jim Lee will do a Wildcats title after his Man of Steel title with Scott Snyder ends. This means it won’t be released until 2014.
- In April, all New 52 issues will have fold-out covers. The solicits only show the front cover and each fold out is supposed to reveal something shocking. For example, Team 7 #7 shows Grifter, Deathstroke (in his modern costume), and Black Canary firing at something off screen. The issue also promises a new team member who is making their New 52 debut. Ravagers #11 has a similar cover with the team fighting something off screen and sports a cover by veteran artist Michael Golden. Stormwatch #19 does not have a final cover yet, but one noteworthy bit of news about this issue is that veteran artist/writer Jim Starlin will be taking over Stormwatch with Yvel Guichet on art. Starlin will provide art for the fold-out cover.
- The trailer for Red 2 is online at comingsoon.net. This is the sequel to the 2010 movie which is an adaption of the Wildstorm mini-series of the same name by Warren Ellis and Cully Hamner. (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=98994 or http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8ntPbR_9A9Y) You can listen to an interview with Warren Ellis on a recent Nerdist podcast where he talks about the second film a bit. (http://www.nerdist.com/2013/01/nerdist-podcast-warren-ellis/)
00:06:31 – Joe starts it off with the review of Stormwatch #16. Released on 1/09, written by Peter Milligan with art and cover by Will Conrad. Is this title starting to lose it’s luster? We sure hope not! Help us Jim Starlin, you’re our only hope!
00:16:00 – Ben continues the final issue of Grifter #16 (FINALLY!!). Released on 1/16, written by Frank Tieri, with art by Marat Mychaels and cover by Scott Clark. Joe tries to make sense of it, but what’s the point really?
00:33:04 – Joe reviews Ravagers #8. Released on 1/16, written by Michael Alan Nelson with art by Ig Guara and cover by Patrick Gleason.
00:43:16 – Ben reviews Team 7 #4. Released on 1/16, written by Justin Jordan with art by Jesus Merino and cover by Tyler Kirkham. (p.s. – Joe has his OMG Train Guy moment at 45:57; you don’t want to miss it!)
00:56:41 – Joe gives an update on other Wildstorm related sighting and tie-ins from the other DCU 52 issue #16’s that have released last month.
- 1/2 Savage Hawkman #15 – Pike appearance
- 1/16 Legion Lost #16 – Ravagers appearance
00:58:00 – Joe continues by giving a run-down on the upcoming books and character appearances in the new DCU relaunch. Remember, all these books are available digitally the same day as the print release at the DC section of www.comixology.com
- For the week of 1/30
- THE SAVAGE HAWKMAN #16 “HAWKMAN: WANTED” crashed to its conclusion! Carter Hall can’t escape his past! Two worlds collide — with Hawkman caught in the middle! (last time we’ll see Pike?)
- For the week of 2/06
- STORMWATCH #17 Don’t miss this major turning point issue as everything changes! The death of a StormWatch member! The end of StormWatch headquarters!
- YOUNG ROMANCE: A NEW 52 VALENTINE’S DAY SPECIAL #1 Romance is in the air in this very special Special! Wonder Woman consults Eros himself about her feelings for The Man of Steel. Barbara Gordon has always been too busy for romance, but could her role as Batgirl bring her back to the first guy she ever kissed? Following the events of “Death in the Family,” how can Catwoman ease Batman’s troubled soul? Aquaman makes waves as he treats his wife like a queen for a day. From the pages of STORMWATCH, Apollo and Midnighter celebrate Valentine’s Day separately but with each other in mind. Who—or what—stands between them? Dick Grayson and the daughter of Lucious Fox meet-cute! Plus: Perforated Valentine’s Day cards featuring the stars of these stories!
- For the week of 2/13
- RAVAGERS #9 As Thunder’s condition worsens, the rest of the team begins to wonder if Caitlin is helping him—or killing him!
- TEAM 7 #5 The secret history of the DCU’s original Cyborg Program! Who is Spartan? And what is the threat of the Majestic Program? Slade Wilson takes his first steps down the path that will lead to his becoming Deathstroke!
- For the week of 2/27
- All-Star Western #17 Gather round for a lesson in the terrible secret history of Gotham City with Jonah Hex! Hex and Doctor Arkham are at the forefront as a disease threatens to destroy part of the city. The patient survival rate is looking pretty grim… Plus: In the backup story, meet Jenny Freedom and the StormWatch of the 19th century! (Jenny Freedom/Stormwatch back-up story)
00:59:38 – Ben gives a shout out to Chris Striker, of the TheAuthority.ws and Stormwatch.ws websites. Remember to visit The Higher Authority’s message boards Clark’s Bar to continue the Wildstorm integration discussions among long time Wildstorm fans at theauthority.ws. Be sure to check out our friends of the show, the Image Addiction podcast as they cover new releases from Image Comics and The Savage FINcast as they cover The Savage Dragon. Both can be found at http://www.imageaddiciton.net
And get twice the Valiant coverage now with our friends of the show from the Only the Valiant podcast at http://www.onlythevaliant.com and our friends over at www.culturalwormhole.com and their Valiant Future podcast.
01:01:32 – Ben continues with the contact details as shown below.
The opening music is “Universal Domain” by Dreamline which can be found at http://www.musicalley.com.
Wildstorm Addiction: http://twitter.com/wildstormaddict
Post your comments for each episode on the wildstormaddiction.com!
Email us at email@example.com.
Facebook Fan Page: Wildstorm Addiction Podcast Fan Page
Our show is now on Stitcher! Listen to us on your iPhone, Android Phone, Kindle Fire and other devices with Stitcher. Stitcher is Smart Radio for Your phone or tablet. Find it in your app store or at stitcher.com The latest episode is always available for you- no syncing needed… and no memory or storage wasted! Stitcher SmartRadio- The Smarter Way to listen to radio