00:00:00 – Joe welcomes everyone to episode #44 and gives his spoiler alerts warning. Remember, all written reviews on the website are spoiler free and usually get posted within a day of print release. This our first of hopefully many, “Friends of Wildstorm” episodes where we bring on a lifelong or recently converted fan of the Wildstorm Universe. They hash out the recent news, issues, and give us their reviews right along side of us. There is no better way to start off this inaugural endeavor than by starting it off with thee O.G. Wildstorm fan himself, Chris Striker. Founder of theauthority.ws and stormwatch.ws fansites, as well as the numero uno hangout for Wildstorm fans far and wide, the Clark’s Bar comics forum.
00:02:16 – Joe continues with plenty of Wildstorm related news as it pertains to the current books in the DCU.
- First up, the original Stormwatch #1 launched 20 years ago in 1993. Happy Anniversary to our favorite protectors of the planet!
- Jim Starlin revealed his gatefold cover for April’s Stormwatch #19 and it lived up to it’s WTF certified status (which is what all the covers for April were marked as). There is an alternate version of Apollo and Midnighter (whether or not these are the actual Wildstorm versions remains to be seen but their costumes are a dead ringer) and we get the New 52 debut of Hellstrike. We also get a male Engineer and a new century baby called Jenny Soul. Three other new characters are the identified as Storm Control, the Forecaster, and Starlin’s own creation called The Weird. Source via: ComicBookResources
- And if that’s not enough Stormwatch for you, All-Star Western #20 has another Stormwatch back-up. Be sure to pick up All-Star Western #17 on February 27th to see the first Stormwatch back-up!
- And now after all of the good news, we’re here to turn it around and continue the crotch kicking that has become the norm as a regular Wildstorm fan…
- Not one, but TWO titles are being cancelled with Team 7 and Ravagers in May! Talk about WTF!! I guess I jinxed us when I said we were going to be the Stormwatch podcast. BUT the Team 7 #8 solicit released a spoiler when it mentions Majestic as one of the characters that parts ways with the others in this issue. Deathstroke is also being cancelled but issues 18, 19, & 20 will feature the Ravagers. DC Comics Editor-In-Chief Bob Harras: “We have plans. We have Beast Boy in there, we have Terra, you’re going to see them in other titles in upcoming months. Caitlin Fairchild, you’re going to learn things about her — so again, not to sound like a broken record, but these characters will be ongoing. We have interesting things planned for them, and I think some of them will be very surprising.”
- The Wildstorm Resource Wiki is dead for now. It was shut down on us with no warning and the creator James has tried to contact Wetpaint with no luck. Their could be a variety of reasons why they shut us down, we could have been using too much space under the free service, Wetpaint also just got bought out and seems to have been re-branded as a TV-only Wiki. Whatever the reason, the chances of us recovering the Wiki are slim to none at this point. (GRRRR!!!! We may be able to scrape it by hand from the wayback machine… Let’s go troops we have some work to do! Last snapshot was in July of 2012) http://web.archive.org/web/20120721014549/http://wildstormresource.wetpaint.com/
00:08:39 – our guest and friend of the show, Chris Striker, starts it off with the review of Stormwatch #17. Released on 2/06, written by Peter Milligan with art and cover by Will Conrad.
00:17:48 – Ben reviews Ravagers #9. Released on 2/13, written by Michael Alan Nelson with art by Ig Guara and cover by Ken Lashley.
00:30:03 – Joe gives his review of Team 7 #5. Released on 2/13, written by Jesus Merino & Nei Ruffino and Pascal Alixe & Nathan Erying with cover by Gary Frank & Cam Smith. (MAJESTIC destroyed an entire country!?!?! Are we going to get to see him?!?!)
00:48:22 – Ben gives an update on other Wildstorm related sighting and tie-ins from the other DCU 52 issue #17’s that have released this month.
- 2/06 Young Romance: A New 52 Valentine’s Day Special #1 – Apollo and Midnighter, “Seoul Brothers”
00:49:17 – Ben continues by giving a run-down on the upcoming books and character appearances in the new DCU relaunch. Remember, all these books are available digitally the same day as the print release at the DC section of www.comixology.com
- For the week of 3/06
- STORMWATCH #18 The team battles one of their own for their very survival! The relationship of Midnighter and Apollo hits a rough patch when the Amazon-like Zealot joins the team!
- For the week of 3/13
- RAVAGERS #10 Someone claiming to be Terra’s brother comes to the team. Unfortunately, Deathstroke the Terminator isn’t far behind him! The Ravagers are having serious trust issues already, so a visit from the world’s deadliest assassin certainly won’t help!
- TEAM 7 #6 In the tale from the recent past, Team 7 is on a mission to rescue Caitlin Fairchild when a team member dies! And in the present day, Deathstroke hunts down his former Team 7 partners! But why?
- DEATHSTROKE #18 Finally! Deathstroke vs. The Teen Titans! You want more? You got more, as The Ravagers join the fight!
00:50:01 – Joe gives some quick shout out’s starting with Chris Striker’s The Higher Authority’s message boards Clark’s Bar to continue the Wildstorm integration discussions amongst long time Wildstorm fans at http://theauthority.ws. Also check out our friends of the show, the Image Addiction podcast as they cover new releases from Image Comics and The Savage FINcast as they cover The Savage Dragon. Both can be found at http://www.imageaddiciton.net And get twice the Valiant coverage now with our friends of the show from the Only the Valiant podcast at http://www.onlythevaliant.com and our friends over at www.culturalwormhole.com and their Valiant Future podcast. I guest-hosted episode #3 last month and will be on the upcoming episode #4 as well.
00:00:00 – Joe continues with the contact details as shown below. The opening music is “Universal Domain” by Dreamline which can be found at http://www.musicalley.com.
Joe: http://twitter.com/joedavidsoliz (I have changed my Twitter)
Ben: Look me up on Google+
Wildstorm Addiction: http://twitter.com/wildstormaddict
Post your comments for each episode on the wildstormaddiction.com!
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Facebook Fan Page: Wildstorm Addiction Podcast Fan Page
Google+ Page: wildstormaddiction
Our show is now on Stitcher! Listen to us on your iPhone, Android Phone, Kindle Fire and other devices with Stitcher. Stitcher is Smart Radio for Your phone or tablet. Find it in your app store or at stitcher.com The latest episode is always available for you- no syncing needed… and no memory or storage wasted! Stitcher SmartRadio- The Smarter Way to listen to radio.
Joe will be at Pax East in Boston, Massachusetts March 22-24 helping to promote his friend’s upcoming video game Mech Knight Chronicles which is from Dinosaur Games. They can be found at www.dinosaurentertainment.com.