Welcome to another episode of Wildstorm Addiction! Our resident Wildstorm experts Joe David Soliz & Benjamin Murphy review the new DCU versions of Stormwatch #10, Grifter #10, Ravagers #2 and Voodoo #10, as well as some other Wildstorm appearances in the new DCU 52.
00:00:34 – Joe welcomes everyone to episode #36 and gives his spoiler alerts warning. Remember, all written reviews on the website are spoiler free and usually get posted within a day of print release.
00:01:13 – Joe gives plenty of Wildstorm related news as it pertains to the current books in the DCU.
- September is DC’s Zero Month where all titles will get a zero issue to fill in some gaps not yet explained in the New 52. Four new titles are coming during the month and one of them is a Team 7 book, written by Justin Jordan and art by Jesus Merino. The solicitation reads, “Set in the early days of DC COMICS-THE NEW 52, threads of the entire DC Universe collide. As Superman emerges, so does the world’s counter measures against him and his kind. Team 7 is comprised of Dinah Lance (Black Canary), Amanda Waller, Steve Trevor, John Lynch, Alex Fairchild, Cole Cash, Slade Wilson – and their story will change everything you know about DC COMICS-THE NEW 52.”
- Unfortunately, this good news comes with some bad news as Voodoo #0 will be the last issue of the series. However, Grifter survived this round of cancellations so we’ll still have 4 regular titles featuring Wildstorm characters and hopefully some more guest appearances throughout the DCU as we’ve been seeing so far.
- DC released some advance trade info for 2013, including the following:
- “The Culling: Rise of the Ravagers TP” Collects: LEGION LOST #8-9, SUPERBOY #8-9, TEEN TITANS #8-9 and TEEN TITANS ANNUAL #1.
- “Batman/Deathblow Deluxe Edition HC” Collects: Batman/Deathblow: After the Fire #1-3.
- “Stormwatch Vol. 2: Enemies of Earth TP” Collects: STORMWATCH #7-12 and RED LANTERNS #10.
- “Global Frequency TP” Collects: Global Frequency #1-12 (oddly listed under Vertigo)
- “Voodoo Vol. 2: The Killer In Me TP” Collects: VOODOO #7-12 and 0.
- “Red Lanterns Vol. 2: The Death of the Red Lanterns TP” Collects: RED LANTERNS #8-13 and STORMWATCH #9.
- “Sleeper Omnibus HC” Collects: POINT BLANK #1-5, SLEEPER SEASON ONE #1-12, SLEEPER SEASON TWO #1-12, COUP D’ETAT: SLEEPER #1 and COUP D’ETAT AFTERWORD #1 (also listed under Vertigo)
- “DC Universe by Alan Moore TP” Collects several of Alan Moore’s DC works but also collects some of his Wildstorm works which includes WILDSTORM SPOTLIGHT #1, VOODOO #1-4, DEATHBLOW: BYBLOWS #1-3 and WILDC.A.T.S #50. (The HC of this came out March of this year)
00:08:08 – Ben starts it off with the review of Stormwatch #10. Released released on 6/06, written by Peter Milligan with art by Ignacio Calero and cover by Miguel Sepulveda.
00:24:30 – Joe follows up on his thoughts for the tenth issue of Stormwatch, which were much like Ben’s on this one, just an okay issue for Stormwatch’s standard. Not too great and not terrible either. A setup for hopefully some great things to come.
00:27:09 – Joe reviews Grifter #10. Released on 6/13, written by Rob Liefeld and Frank Tieri, with art by Scott Clark and cover by Rob Liefeld. Two months in a row Joe doesn’t like where this title is going, especially as the dialogue that is being written for Grifter. However he does say that it is the better of the last two and it did have a readership increase of about 1,000 copies for the month which is a good sign.
00:37:48 – Ben gives his assessment on Grifter #2, I mean #10, right? And the baddie at the end actually reminded him of a portly Attica.
00:39:40 – Ben reviews the second issue of the Ravagers. Released on 6/13, written by Howard Mackie with art and cover by Ian Churchill. With two new baddie characters introduced it’s hard for me to remember if I’ve seen them both after how many bad guys were in the Culling crossover.
00:47:20 – Joe gives his thoughts on the Ravagers and gives us some insight on the new mythos in the new 52 about the animals, the green, and the rot. Joe is loving this book and especially Ian Churchill’s artwork.
00:49:54 – Joe gives his review of Voodoo #10. Released on on 6/27, written by Josh Williamson with art by Sami Basri and cover by Paulo Siqueira. Joe didn’t dig this issue that much because he felt like it slowed down a bit thinking that Josh knew the title was ending.
00:57:39 – Ben gives his assessment on Voodoo #10, which he was along for the ride from the beginning of the issue despite its many, many problems. It just had a fun vibe to it realizing that this title is coming to a close.
00:59:06 – Ben gives an update on other Wildstorm related sighting and tie-ins from the other DCU 52 issue #10’s that have released last month.
- 6/06 Red Lanterns #10 – continues directly from Stormwatch #9, vs. Atrocitus and Midnighter punches a cat!
- 6/13 Deathstroke #10 – Zealot is confirmed to be Kheran
- 6/27 The Savage Hawkman #10 – Pike appears, is called Kherubim, and talks about how his destiny is to kill Hawkman (reminiscent of his destiny to kill a Wildcat in WSU)
01:01:21 – Joe continues by giving a run-down on the upcoming books and character appearances in the new DCU relaunch. Remember, all these books are available digitally the same day as the print release at the DC section of www.comixology.com
- For the week of 7/05 (New books on Thursday because of the holiday, or not apparently because both Joe and I were able to get books on the 4th!)
- STORMWATCH #11 THE ENGINEER takes center stage! There is a shadow organization as old as STORMWATCH…but who are they and what secrets do they hold?
- For the week of 7/11
- GRIFTER #11 GRIFTER faces off against the powerful DAEMONITE known as SYNGE! DEATHBLOW and CHESHIRE are along for the ride – and that’s your guarantee that the action won’t stop!
- RAVAGERS #3 BROTHER BLOOD is here to destroy your heroes! BEAST BOY and TERRA continue to feel the ramifications of THE CULLING!
- DEATHSTROKE #11 DEATHSTROKE, ZEALOT and the OMEGAS vs. LOBO! DEATHSTROKE races to find the crashed STARPOINT cruiser and the ship’s WORLD BREAKER protocol!
- For the week of 7/25
- VOODOO #11 “DEAD CITY” continues as Pris is forced to team up with VOODOO to survive an onslaught of mutated DAEMONITES!
- THE SAVAGE HAWKMAN #11 HAWKMAN inches closer to answers about who he is and why he is being hunted! Introducing ST. BASTION! He’ll stop at nothing to discover the secrets of the scrolls Carter Hal revealed in issue #9! (more Pike? He will be on the cover of issue #12 for sure)
01:02:06 – Ben gives a shout out to Chris Striker, of the TheAuthority.ws and Stormwatch.ws websites. Remember to visit The Higher Authority’s message boards Clark’s Bar to continue the Wildstorm integration discussions amongst long time Wildstorm fans at theauthority.ws. Be sure to check out our friends of the show, the Image Addiction podcast as they cover new releases from Image Comics and the Only the Valiant podcast as they cover the re-launching of Valiant Comics over the summer.
01:03:20 – Ben continues with the contact details as shown below.
The opening music is “Universal Domain” by Dreamline which can be found at http://www.musicalley.com.
Ben: Look up “yoyomaster146” at the Wildstorm Resource Wiki (http://wildstormresource.wetpaint.com) or on the Wildstorm Message Boards.
Wildstorm Addiction: http://twitter.com/wildstormaddict
Post your comments for each episode on the wildstormaddiction.com!
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Facebook Fan Page: Wildstorm Addiction Podcast Fan Page
Google+ Page: wildstormaddiction
Our show is now on Stitcher! Listen to us on your iPhone, Android Phone, Kindle Fire and other devices with Stitcher. Stitcher is Smart Radio for Your phone or tablet. Find it in your app store or at stitcher.com The latest episode is always available for you- no syncing needed… and no memory or storage wasted! Stitcher SmartRadio- The Smarter Way to listen to radio